Forming an International Partner
Only groups in countries classified as developing countries by the World Bank, including low-income, lower-middle income and upper-middle income economies, are eligible to become Sigma Xi International Partners.
Steps to Form International Partner
- The group must have a minimum of 18 members of Sigma Xi, at least 9 of whom must be full members. Individuals who are not yet members may be nominated and elected to membership through the Society's Committee on Qualifications and Membership.
- The group submits a Letter of Intent to form an International Partner to the Executive Director and appoints one member to be the contact person who will communicate with the Sigma Xi administration.
- The contact person asks the Manager of the International Program for the Request for Licensing Agreement form.
- After the group completes the Request for Licensing Agreement, the contact person sends it to the Manager of the International Program.
- The International Committee reviews the Request for Licensing Agreement for approval or disapproval.
- If approved, an Authorized Area License will be prepared between Sigma Xi and the proposed Sigma Xi International Partner.
- The contact person is notified of the approval, and the Authorized Area License is signed by the Society's Executive Director and President.
- The group decides which optional features (see table below) their International Partner would like to receive and sets the dues in their own currency to cover the annual administrative fee plus the cost of any optional services selected.
- The International Partner submits to Sigma Xi headquarters in U.S. dollars a total amount including the one-time initiation fee of $100, the annual administrative fee of $50 + $2/member, and the fees for any optional features.
- The Authorized Area License is sent to the new International Partner.
|Optional Benefits for International Partners
|individual American Scientist subscriptions (paper copy) airmailed to contact person
|being eligible to nominate individuals for Grants-in-Aid of Research so that they can qualify for the awards restricted to membership; no guaranteed awards
|being eligible to apply as a group for a Distinguished Lectureships subsidy to host a Distinguished Lecturer; no guaranteed subsidies
|having a group Web site hosted by Sigma Xi
|receiving membership supplies such as additional member certificates, and certificates of excellence or recognition
Functions of the Authorized Area License:
- To allow the International Sigma Xi Partner to set and collect their own annual dues
- To allow the use of the Society's "name" in the Partner's designation
- To provide that the Partner will abide by the Society's standards for membership and operation of the group in accordance with the Society's constitution, bylaws, and standard policies
- To establish the mechanism for nominating new members to the International Partner
- To provide for an annual report of the Partners activities for the previous year and a list of officers for the current year to be submitted annually by the Partner
- To provide for a periodic audit every three years of these standards by a committee designated by Sigma Xi's Board of Directors
- To provide for renewal of the license every three years upon satisfactory completion of the audit
For More Information Contact:
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
P. O. Box 13975
3106 East NC Highway 54
Research Triangle Park, NC 27709 USA